Wednesday, 15 May 2013

Grade 11 - Athletics Reflection - Stars Volleyball Club

This year I was a part of the North Shore Stars Volleyball Club for the third year in a row.  I really enjoy playing for this club because the values are ones that I believe in. The focus is more on development and giving everyone an equal chance, rather than solely competition and only playing the top 6 girls.  This year the group of girls really meshed together well and we did very well at the U18 Provincials, which was a great accomplishment. We had worked hard all season preparing for this province-wide tournament so it was rewarding to be able to do so well there. Also, when we played the top rated team in Canada, we got 15 points on them, which is very impressive considering their status.

Included in being part of this club in 2013 all of us had to put in 12 hours of volunteering for the under 12 girls who participate in Youth League, a development camp on Wednesday nights throughout the year.  They work on learning new skills, the rules of the game, and begin to work together on learning rotations and basic plays.  Our role at this class was to encourage the beginners,help facilitate games and drills for the girls, and facilitate tournaments within the course time constraints.  This part of the club was very rewarding for me because I got to not only spend more time with my teammates, but help young volleyball players learn the sport in hopes of them going on to playing with the Stars Club when they come of age.

Stars Volleyball has been a large part of my high school career so I am sad that this is the last year for me to play with them.  Although this is the end, I have a lot of great memories from the past 3 seasons and have made many friends that will last me a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment